True Colors

Gandafish was tending to her rock garden when Pogi fish swam up to greet her. He wore a long frown on his face.
“My heavens! What’s wrong, Pogifish?”
“It’s my big brother, Pasawayfish, that’s what’s wrong.”
“What did he do?”
“You know the bottle cap I found? I think he hid it somewhere and I cannot find it anywhere.”
“Did you ask him about it?””
“He says he doesn’t know where it went.”
Pogi Fish moped around the Acara cave all day long, not sure where his bottle cap went. When Pogi’s mother finally acknowledged him, Pogi explained the situation.
“Mahhhhhm, Pasaway hid my bottle cap.”
“I told you I never touched your bottle cap,” interrupted Pasaway.
“If Pasaway says he didn’t touch it, you’ll have to take his word for it.”
In fact, Pasaway didn’t touch Pogi’s bottle cap. It was Pogi’s little brother, Pikon, who took Pogi’s bottle cap. Like all mysteries, there was more to the story. It began when Pasaway was watching Pikon and Pogi was playing in the seaweed with Ganda.
“I’m hungry. Can I have a snack?” asked Pikon.
“No,” replied Pasaway.
“I’ll do anything for some krill.”
“Anything?”
Pikon nodded eagerly.
“You know the bottle cap in Pogi’s room?”
Pikon nodded again.
“Take it out and hide it in the boat wreck.”
“Pasaway…” whined Pikon, “I can’t do that.”
“You said anything.”
Reluctantly, Pikon did as his brother ordered and hid the bottle cap in the boat wreck near the Acara cave. He returned home and gobbled the pieces of krill his brother gave him.
“If you tell anyone, I will nibble your ears off,” said Pasaway.
Pikon nervously agreed.
Just as he promised, Pikon remained silent when Mama Fish asked. As days came and went, Pikon was nervous about his secret. Periodically, he checked the boat wreck.
Meanwhile, Pogi grew more agitated as each day passed. Finally, he went to his father for a solution.
“Papa, do you remember the bottle cap I found?”
Papa nodded.
“It’s gone missing.”
“Did you misplace it?”
“Why would I move it? It sat perfectly in the corner of my room.”
“We’ll get to the bottom of this,” said Papa.
That evening, the Acara nibbled on bits of sea urchin for dinner. Papa Fish decided to get to the bottom of the missing bottle cap, Knowing Pasaway was the trouble-maker of the family, the questioning began with him.
“Pasaway, did you hide Pogi’s bottle cap?”
“I did not touch Pogi’s bottle cap.”
“Are you sure?”
“I am absolutely sure,” replied Pasaway.
“Then everyone will do extra chores until Pogi’s bottle cap is found.”
“But I said I didn’t touch it,” said Pasaway.
“That’s the rule,” said Papa Fish.
Day in and day out, Pasaway and Pikon were to share Pogi’s chores. Of course, Pikon had to do everything while Pasaway continued bossing him around. Pogi noticed this and told Papa. Papa spied on little Pikon Fish, doing all the chores and noticed Pasaway doing none.
“Pikon, can you come here for a moment?”
“Yes, Papa,” replied Pikon.
“Isn’t this Pasaway’s day to clean Pogi’s room?”
Pikon looked around nervously.
“Isn’t it?”
Pikon nodded.
“Then why are you doing your brother’s chores?”
“i…I…I…” stuttered Pikon.
“Don’t worry, you won’t get in trouble.”
“I wanted a snack, so Pasaway made me hide Pogi’s bottle cap before I could have a piece.”
“Why didn’t you tell me the first night I asked?”
“I was afraid I’d get in trouble.”
“But you got in trouble anyway,” said Papa Fish.
“I guess so.”
“I know how your oldest brother can be. I will have a talk with him. I want you to fetch Pogi’s bottle cap and return it to him.”
“Okay, Papa.”
Quickly, Pikon and Pogi swam to the boat wreck and fetched the bottle cap. As soon as Pikon found it in the wreckage, he felt much better. Still, he thought it was only right to apologize.
“I’m sorry big brother,” said Pikon.
“That’s okay. I know it wasn’t all your fault.”
“Thank you very much! You’re the best brother a fish could have,” said little Pikon.
“Don’t say that! You have two brothers.”
“Yes, you’re right. You’re one of the two best brothers a fish could have.”For being such a pest, Pasaway had to do every brother’s chores, including his own. He also apologized for his bad behavior. Now, Pasaway understood the responsibility he had to his brothers. He would not trick them like that ever again.

+++++++++++++

MORAL: One rotten apple can spoil the bunch.

No comments: