Looks Are Only Fin Deep

Pogi and Ganda Fish took their regular places next to Upper Wreck, playing tag and chasing any crabs that happened to be skittering along. At times, they even ventured into the parts of Upper Wreck farthest from Mack's Cabin.
Ganda was it and Pogi was hiding between the barnacles and rusted hull of Upper Wreck. Ganda searched the room carefully, checking every nook and cranny.
She passed a piece of polished pipe. She was startled at the sight of a silvery-white fish in the reflection.
"Oh my goodness!" she cried out.
Pogi Fish poked his head from behind the pipe.
"What's wrong?" he asked.
"I was scared of my reflection," explained Ganda.
"You do have a scary face!" joked Pogi.
"Pogifish..." sighed Ganda.
"I was only joking."
Although it was just a joke, it hurt Ganda's feelings. Every time she passed a mirror or piece of polished metal, she stared at her reflection, even after she went home.
"Why do you keep looking at yourself?" asked Ganda's sister, Burara Fish.
"Do you think I look plain?"
"Not at all!"
"I wish I was a bright, like a Swordtail or a Clown Loach."
"What's wrong with just being you? I think you're the most beautiful fish in the world," said Burara.
"You've never even been outside our cave."
Ganda heaved a sigh and went to her room. Unfortunately, the walls along one side of the cave were made of smoth agate. She closed her eyes and went to sleep.
The next morning, she woke up, only to see her pearly white face staring back at her.
"Aaaah!" she said with a jump.
She avoided looking at as many smooth surfaces as she swam to Upper Wreck. She even avoided going inside Upper Wreck, which was covered with mirrors, polished brass, glass, and chrome. Instead, she lingered outside, waiting for Pogi Fish.
"Unh-unh," said Jack Dempsey as he approached her.
"Hello, Jack."
"Hey Ganda. How are you?"
"I'm a little sad," she said.
"Why?"
"I'm just a plain old Gourami."
"I think Gourami are beautiful," said Jack.
"How can you say that? Every one of my scales is the same color of pearl-white."
"Yes, but it shimmers in sunlight. Look at me, I'm dark green-gray."
"I think your skin is beautiful. Plus, you have that intriguing scar. It makes you look like a pirate."
"Rrrrr," said Jack.
Ganda laughed as Jack squished his face. He imitated a pirate's limp as he swam in a circle.
"See!" she said, "You're unique!"
"You're unique, too," replied Jack.
"Not like you."
Just then, Pogi swam up and joined them.
"What are you two discussing?"
"Ganda thinks she's plain."
"Plain? I think you're beautiful. You have big black eyes and you always wear this funny smirk like you've told yourself a funny joke but you don't want to share it with anyone."
Ganda Fish swam up to one of the port holes and looked at her reflection in the glass.
"You get all that?" she said.
"I sure do! Plus, you have a smile that fills my heart and makes me happy."
"I do?"
Both Jack and Pogi nodded in agreement. Now Ganda felt much better. She realized that even though she thought she was plain, she wasn't. It was just the same with Jack Dempsey. He had this plain green body, but to a Gourami, he was interesting and different.
Ganda felt much better, because, after all, she had two friends who thought she wasn't plain at all.
...and that was good enough for Ganda.


+++++++++++++

MORAL: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

No comments: